all in MA
|The First Series: These conferences (or fan gatherings) were initially sponsored by The Stranger Club3, the first stf organization in the greater Boston area. More details about them can be found in All Our Yesterdays by Harry Warner, Jr. (Advent: Publishers) and in the Noreascon 3 Souvenir Book. Canonicity for the Boskone numbers is found in Warner and in Fantasy Fiction Field for November 8, 1941, which specifically mentions Boskones I and II. Boskone II had the fannish skit "Legions of Legions." Reference to the fourth Boskone (with attendance) is from Fanewscard #111, dated February 14, 1945.|
|I||late Feb 1941||R. D. Swisher home, Winchester||Art Widner||25||4
|II||22 Feb 1942||Ritz Plaza, Boston||Art Widner||25|
|III||28 Feb 1943||Ritz Plaza, Boston||Suddsy Schwartz||Claude Degler||14|
|IV||3-4 Feb 1945||R. D. Swisher home, Winchester||Milt Rothman, Jack Riggs, Art Widner, N. F. Stanley, R. D. Swisher||5||5|
|V||2 Sep 1945||Hotel Hawthorne, Salem||Doris Currier||9||6|
|Present Series: The current series of Boskones was started by the Boston Science Fiction Society (BoSFS) as part of its bidding strategy for "Boston in '67." BoSFS ran Boskones 1, 2, and 4. Boskone 3 was actually run by Erwin S[heehan] Strauss but, because of its venue, it was officially sponsored by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Science Fiction Club (MITSFS). The New England Science Fiction Association (NESFA) has run all Boskones starting with Boskone 5. Each Boskone had a different Program Book cover.|
|1||10-12 Sep 1965||Statler-Hilton, Boston||Dave Vanderwerf||Hal Clement, Dr. Robert Enzmann||66||7, 8
|2||11-13 Mar 1966||Statler-Hilton, Boston||Dave Vanderwerf||Frederik Pohl, Dwight Wayne Batteau, Prof. Igor Paul, Prof. Oliver Selfridge||71||8
|3||1-3 Oct 1966||MIT, Cambridge||Erwin Strauss||John W. Campbell, Oliver Selfridge||68||9, 10
|4||1-2 Apr 1967||Statler-Hilton, Boston||Paul Galvin||GoH: Damon Knight, Marvin Minsky||72||8|
|5||23-24 Mar 1968||Statler-Hilton, Boston||Paul Galvin||GoH: Larry Niven, Warren McCulloch||155||11|
|6||22-23 Mar 1969||Statler-Hilton, Boston||Leslie Turek||GoH: Jack Gaughan
A: Stephen Fabian
|7||27-29 Mar 1970||Statler-Hilton, Boston||Tony Lewis||GoH: Gordon R. Dickson
A: George Barr
SS: Donald Menzel
|8||12-14 Mar 1971||Sheraton Rolling Green, Andover||Bill Desmond||GoH: Larry Niven||211||12|
|9||14-16 Apr 1972||Statler-Hilton, Boston||Fred Isaacs||GoH: L. Sprague de Camp
A: Don Simpson
SS: Richard Rosa
|10||9-11 Mar 1973||Sheraton Boston||Suford Lewis||GoH: Robert A. W. Lowndes
A: Frank Kelly Freas
SS: Phyllis Brauner
|The Three Faces of Science Fiction||405|
|11||1-3 Mar 1974||Sheraton Boston||Don & Jill Eastlake||GoH: Isaac Asimov
OA: Eddie Jones
SS: Dr. Isaac Asimov
|Have You Seen These?||701||13|
|12||28 Feb-2 Mar 1975||Sheraton Boston||Ann & Terry McCutchen||GoH: Anne McCaffrey
OA: Bonnie Dalzell
SS: Robert Enzmann
|A Time When||935||14, 15
|13||13-15 Feb 1976||Sheraton Boston||Ellen Franklin & Jim Hudson||GoH: Poul Anderson
OA: Rick Sternbach
|14||18-20 Feb 1977||Sheraton Boston||Tony Lewis||GoH: Ben Bova
OA: John Schoenherr
|15||17-19 Feb 1978||Sheraton Boston||Jill Eastlake||GoH: John Brunner
OA: Arthur Thomson (ATom)
SS: Marvin Minsky
|Tomorrow May be Even Worse||1454||16
|16||16-18 Feb 1979||Sheraton Boston||Don Eastlake||GoH: Frank Herbert
OA: Mike Symes
SS: Marc C. Chartrand
|Symes Art Portfolio||1950|
|17||15-17 Feb 1980||Radisson Ferncroft, Danvers||Chip Hitchcock||GoH: Spider & Jeanne Robinson
OA: Victoria Poyser
|18||13-15 Feb 1981||Sheraton Boston||Gail Hormats||GoH: Tanith Lee
OA: Don Maitz
|19||12-14 Feb 1982||Boston Park Plaza||Rob Spence||GoH: Donald A. Wollheim
OA: Michael Whelan
|The Men from Ariel||2270|
|20||18-20 Feb 1983||Boston Park Plaza||Pat Vandenberg||GoH: Mack Reynolds*
OA: Wendy Pini
SS: Jeff Hecht
|21||17-19 Feb 1984||Boston Park Plaza||Rick Katze||GoH: Gene Wolfe
OA: Vincent Di Fate
SG: David Hartwell
|22||15-17 Feb 1985||Copley Marriott, Boston||Ann Broomhead||GoH: Kate Wilhelm & Damon Knight
OA: Carl Lundgren
SG: Shawna McCarthy
|Late Knight Edition||3420||14, 19
|23||14-16 Feb 1986||Sheraton Boston||Mark Olson||GoH: Robert Bloch
OA: Bob Eggleton
SG: Tom Doherty
|Out of My Head||3919|
|24||13-15 Feb 1987||Sheraton Boston||Chip Hitchcock||GoH: C. J. Cherryh
OA: Barclay Shaw
SG: Tom Clareson
|Glass and Amber||4200||20|
|25||29-31 Jan 1988||Sheraton Tara Springfield, Springfield Marriott||Jim & Laurie Mann||GoH: Greg Bear
OA: David Mattingly
SG: Ellen Asher
|26||27-29 Jan 1989||Sheraton Tara Springfield, Springfield Marriott||Claire & Dave Anderson||GoH: Tim Powers
OA: James Gurney
SG: Tom Whitmore
|An Epitaph in Rust||1250|
|27||16-18 Feb 1990||Sheraton Tara Springfield, Springfield Marriott||Mike DiGenio||GoH: Glen Cook
OA: David A. Cherry
SG: Charles Ryan
|Sung in Blood||970|
|28||15-17 Feb 1991||Sheraton Tara Springfield, Springfield Marriott||Rick Katze||GoH: Mike Resnick
OA: Ed Emshwiller*
SG: Brian Thomsen
|Stalking the Wild Resnick||888||27
|29||14-16 Feb 1992||Sheraton Tara Springfield, Springfield Marriott||Priscilla Olson||GoH: Jane Yolen
OA: Jody Lee
SG: Dave Langford
FF: Kathy Mar
|Let's Hear It for the Deaf Man|
|30||19-21 Feb 1993||Sheraton Tara, Framingham||Greg Thokar||GoH: Joe Haldeman
OA: Tom Kidd
SG: Beth Meacham
FF: Duane Elms
|Vietnam and Other Alien Worlds||851|
|31||18-20 Feb 1994||Sheraton Tara, Framingham||Ben Yalow||GoH: Emma Bull & Will Shetterly
OA: Nicholas Jainschigg
SG: Patrick & Teresa Nielsen Hayden
FF: Cecilia Eng
|32||17-19 Feb 1995||Sheraton Tara, Framingham||Gay Ellen Dennett||GoH: Diana Wynne Jones
OA: Ruth Sanderson
SG: Fred Lerner & Patricia Wrede
FF: Talis Kimberley
|Everard's Ride||902 / 1037||
|A Bookman's Fantasy|
|33||16-18 Feb 1996||Sheraton Tara, Framingham||Tim Szczesuil & Ann Broomhead||GoH: Lois McMaster Bujold
OA: Gary Rudell
SG: Bob Madle
FF: Musical Chairs
|Dreamweaver's Dilemma||829 / 983||
|34||14-16 Feb 1997||Sheraton Tara, Framingham||Davey Snyder||GoH: John M. Ford
OA: Ron Walotsky
SG: Jerry Kaufman & Suzanne Tompkins
FF: Tom Smith
|From the End of the Twentieth Century||~800 / 991||
|35||13-15 Feb 1998||Sheraton Tara, Framingham||Bonnie & Ted Atwood||GoH: Walter Jon Williams
OA: Omar Rayyan
SG: Stanley Schmidt
FF: Joe Ellis
|Frankensteins and Foreign Devils||~800 / 991||
|36||12-14 Feb 1999||Sheraton Tara, Framingham||Deb Geisler||GoH: Connie Willis
OA: Stephen Youll
SG: Teddy Harvia & Diana Thayer
FF: Ed Stauff and Mary Ellen Wessels
|(none)||759 / 986||
|37||18-20 Feb 2000||Sheraton, Framingham||Claire & Dave Anderson||GoH: Michael Swanwick
OA: Rick Berry
SG: Peter Weston
FF: Jordin Kare
|Moon Dogs||790 / 960||
|38||16-18 Feb 2001||Sheraton, Framingham||Priscilla Olson||GoH: George R. R. Martin
OA: Charles Vess
SG: Jack Cohen
FF: Juanita Coulson
|39||15-17 Feb 2002||Sheraton, Framingham||Pam Fremon||GoH: Neil Gaiman
OA: Steve Hickman
SG: Marv Wolfman
FF: Tom Holt*
|Adventures in the Dream Trade||1108/1266||
|40||14-16 Feb 2003||Sheraton Boston||Sharon Sbarsky||GoH: David Brin
OA: Jim Burns
SG: Charles N. Brown
FF: Clam Chowder
|41||13-15 Feb 2004||Sheraton Boston||Rick Katze||GoH: Stephen Baxter
OA: Richard Hescox
SG: Betsy Mitchell
FF: Brenda & Bill Sutton
|The Hunters of Pangaea||982/1145||
|42||18-20 Feb 2005||Sheraton Boston||Priscilla Olson||GoH: Orson Scott Card
OA: Alan Pollack
SG: Mike Glyer
FF: Urban Tapestry
|43||17-19 Feb 2006||Sheraton Boston||Pam Fremon||GoH: Ken MacLeod
OA: Donato Giancola
SG: Cory Doctorow
FF: Steve Macdonald
|Giant Lizards from Another Star||1104/1284||
|44||16-18 Feb 2007||Westin Waterfront||Tony & Suford Lewis||GoH: David Gerrold
OA: Gary A. Lippincott
SG: Brother Guy Consolmagno, SJ
FF: Lee & Barry Gold
|The Involuntary Human||1057/1268||
|45||15-17 Feb 2008||Westin Waterfront||Gay Ellen Dennett||GoH: David Weber
OA: Dean Morrissey
SG: Bruce Coville
FF: Seanan McGuire
|The One Right Thing (Bruce Coville)||1056/1263||
|46||13-15 Feb 2009||Westin Waterfront||Lis Carey||GoH: Jo Walton
OA: Stephan Martiniere
SG: Irene Gallo
FF: Dr. H. Paul Shuch (Dr. SETI)
|Sibyls & Spaceships|
|47||12-14 Feb 2010||Westin Waterfront||Jim Mann||GoH: Alastair Reynolds
OA: John Picacio
SG: Tom Shippey
FF: Mary Crowell
|48||18-20 Feb 2011||Westin Waterfront||Priscilla Olson||GoH: Charles Stross
OA: Gregory Manchess
SG: Charlaine Harris
FF: Erica Neely
|49||17-19 Feb 2012||Westin Waterfront||Sharon Sbarsky||GoH: John Scalzi
OA: Daniel Dos Santos
SG: Toni Weisskopf
FF: Tricky Pixie
|24 Frames into the Future||1201/1384
|50||15-17 Feb 2013||Westin Waterfront||Rick Kovalcik||GoH: Vernor Vinge
OA: Lisa Snellings
SG: John Hertz
Musician: Heather Dale
|Neither Complete nor Conclusive||1042/1263||
|51||14-16 Feb 2014||Westin Waterfront||Ann Broomhead||GoH: Seanan McGuire
OA: David Palumbo
SG: Ginjer Buchanan
FF: Bill Roper
|Letters to the Pumpkin King||986/1236||
|52||13-15 Feb 2015||Westin Waterfront||Adina Adler||GoH: Steven Brust
OA: Charles Lang and Wendy Snow-Lang
SG: Robert K. Weiner
FF: Maya and Jeff Bohnhoff
|53||19-21 Feb 2016||Westin Waterfront||Tim Szczesuil||GoH:
- Abbreviations: A: Artist, GoH: Guest of Honor, OA: Official Artist, SS: Science Speaker, SG: Special Guest, FF: Featured Filker (not a GoH).
- Where a single number is given, it is the warm-body count (actual attendance). Where two numbers are given, the first is the warm-body count, and the second is the total membership including no-shows. (No-shows include not only people who paid and couldn't attend for one reason or another, but also lifetime members who have gafiated and many former GOHs, who all receive lifetime memberships.)
- The Stranger Club was the Fan Guest of Honor at Noreascon 3, the 47th World Science Fiction Convention, in 1989.
- This first series of Boskones had been completely forgotten when the second series of Boskones was started.
- Actually, the Guests list is the entire membership of the con.
- Called the "Northeast SF Conference" [claimed to be the first post-war SF con]. Currier was the MC.
- Guests were typically Guest of Honor, Official Artist and Science Speaker.
- Run by the Boston Science Fiction Society (mostly Mike Ward, Dave Vanderwerf, and Erwin "Filthy Pierre" Strauss, other members included Leslie Turek, Alma Hill, Ed & Paul Galvin, Andrew A. "Drew" Whyte, Hal Clement, and Ben Bova).
- Under the official sponsorship of MITSFS.
- Campbell was called "Principal Speaker."
- From here on all Boskones were sponsored by NESFA.
- A deliberately scaled-down, suburban Boskone to allow the committee to prepare for Noreascon 1.
- The Artist guest is now called the Official Artist.
- Ann Broomhead is the same person as Ann McCutchen.
- A Time When is the first part of The White Dragon.
- First Boskone T-shirt done.
- A deliberately scaled-down, suburban Boskone to allow the committee to prepare for Noreascon 2. Also known as BoskLone.
- From this point on, guests were Guest of Honor (a writer), Official Artist, and Special Guest.
- Boskone was probably the biggest SF convention in the world in 1985.
- Boskone blows up and moves out of Boston.
- Starting with this Boskone, a Featured Filker was added. The Featured Filker is not officially a Guest of Honor, but travel and room costs are picked up by the convention. MASSFILC helped pay for the first Featured Filker.
- The Great Boskone Blizzard finally happens with major snowfalls on both Friday and Sunday.
- FanHistoricon (a traveling fan history convention) was co-located with Boskone.
- A horrible database crash made it impossible to get exact registration and attendance numbers, but an examination of the Treasury income data showed that paid memberships were essentially the same as the previous year. There is no reason to think that the proportion of warm bodies on site was significantly different, either.
- Yet another Boskone Blizzard — 8" of snow between 3 pm and midnight Friday.
- The hotel changed its name from Sheraton Tara to Sheraton Framingham.
- Guest * died prior to the convention.
- Guest * was unable to attend the convention.
- Still yet another Boskone Blizzard — 27" of snow on Sunday-Monday stranding 50 members for Snokone.
- B42 was the first Boskone to offer rollover memberships to the following Boskone to volunteers who worked more than 16 hours. As of B46, the number of hours was dropped to 12.
- Pre-reg rate changed from $43 to $44 on 2006-10-10.
- Friday daily rate was posted as $17 on the web, but it was changed to $15 before the convention.
- Boskone Staff are also offered a prereg rate equal to the lowest available amount. Typically the "Year ahead" rate.
- 88 people attended the Magic-the-Gathering tournament, 16 of whom had attended the full convention.
- For most of Boskone history it was possible to purchase a lifetime
membership to Boskone.
- Boskone 1-14: unavailable
- Boskone 15-16: 10 x current prereg rate
- Boskone 17-19: unavailable
- Boskone 20-24: 20 x current prereg rate
- Boskone 25-present: 14 x lowest prereg rate
- Robin McKinley was originally named as Guest of Honot, but needed to withdraw for personal reasons.