NESFA® Treasury Procedures: Cash Register Accommodations
This procedure is not exhaustive. It is an attempt to document a few
special things that have to be done in order to use the cash register effectively.
Books which must be rebarcoded
- Brown, From These Ashes..., 9781886778184, printed barcode 9781886788183 is incorrect
- Bujold, Dreamweaver's Dilemma, trade paper reprint, 9780915368532, printed barcode 9780195368536 is incorrect
- Bujold, Shards of Honor, 9781886778207, printed barcode 9781886788206 is incorrect
- Tenn, Dancing Naked, 9781886778467, no barcode printed on d.j.
- Wagner & McGath, The NESFA Hymnal, Volume 2, Revised, 9781886778016, printed barcode is illegible
- White, White Papers, 9780915368716, printed barcode is illegible
- Williams, Frankensteins and Foreign Devils, hardcover, 9781886778030, printed barcode is incorrect
Books without an ISBN
- If the book has an SBN, a zero is prefixed to get the ISBN-10 code.
- If the book has neither an ISBN nor a SBN, the Library of Congress catalog number is
used to construct an non-ISBN private 12-digit barcode beginning with the digit 4.
E.g., The Phoenix and the Mirror (whose LC number 69-10982)
has barcode 400069109827.
- The slip-cased editions of Boskone books have the normal dust jacket on them,
which has the barcode for the trade state of the same book. This means that
some method must be devised to register the items when they are sold. Possible
- Using the 3-digit PLU number (see below)
- Bagging the books and barcoding the bags
- Sticking the barcode directly to the slip-case
- Having a reference barcode by the register which can be scanned
- Having a button on the register for that one item
Books printed without dust jackets
- These books should be handled in a manner similar to the way we handle
slip-cased editions, with an additional option:
- Insert a piece of paper or an index card with the barcode into the book.
3-digit PLU numbers
- In order to have an easily understood and easily executed backup method for
registering a book whose barcode is illegible, each book is entered in the register
a second time using the last 3 digits of the book's ISBN-13 code, including
the check digit. E.g., Dancing Naked has ISBN-13 code 9781886778467, but can also
be registered using code 467[PLU].