Boskone 38 Art Show
Rules and Information on Entry
- The Basics
- Only artists may enter themselves in the show, and they may do so only once. Each artist may
authorize an agent to act as a representative.
- Group entries are permitted; however, such entries will be treated as standard entries for
space limits. Artists entering as part of a group may not also enter as individuals or as
members of other groups. Collaborations must be the work of at least one of the entering
artists and may be submitted by any of the collaborators.
- All entries must be original works of the artist(s) on science fiction, fantasy or fannish themes,
submitted by the artist or agent. We reserve the right to reject any entry.
- All items entered must be completed before being brought into the Art Show.
- All flat entries must be matted, mounted or framed and ready for hanging.
- Once a piece of artwork has been signed into the Art Show or Print Shop, it may not be
withdrawn nor may any conditions of sale be changed.
- Not-For-Sale work is permitted and is eligible for awards, but we would appreciate it if at least
half of your work is for sale.
- We do not provide insurance coverage for art entered in the show. While we protect your art
and have not had any problems in more than a dozen years, we recommend you verify that your
insurance coverage extends to display in the show.
- Generally, new artists (not exhibiting at Boskone from 1998-2000) are limited to 1/2 panel or
1/4 table, and (exhibiting during the past three years) are limited to one panel
or 1/2 table. These limits may be increased with sufficiently good reasons. If you need a
mixture of panel and table space, please contact us.
- The Print Shop will have room for about 130 different items of flat art (3-D items can not be
handled). No artist may submit more than 10 different items to display, with 1 to 10 identical identical
copies per item. Each copy must be matted or otherwise mounted, sized between 8" x 10"
and 20" x 30". One copy of each will be displayed; other copies will be sold at a fixed price,
with the display copy being sold last. Print Shop handling fee is $1 per copy stocked in the
Print Shop, to a maximum of 100 pieces or $100 for any artist.
- We do allow mail-in-art. If you cannot find any other way to get your artwork to and from the
show, write us and explain the problem. We will try to help. Mail-in art will require an additional
$10 fee. You must pay for all shipping costs for your art. If you mail art without our prior
written agreement, we will return it immediately.
- Entry Fees and Procedures
- Boskone 38's Art Show and Print Shop charge no commissions, but do charge a space fee. The
basic unit of space for flat work is the panel, which is made of pegboard and is 4' high by 6'
wide. For 3-D art, the basic unit is the table, which is 6' long by 30" deep. Please remember
that the space you reserve must include any clearance between pieces, including space for their
attached bit sheets. Your artwork may not extend beyond the edge of any panel or table; it
may not interfere with any works displayed by other artists.
- You are not limited to buying full panels or tables. The available fractional units follow:
* if available
|1 Table .......6' x 30".... $42*
||2 Panels ..... 4' x 6' ea. $84*
|1/2 Table.....3' x 30".... $21
||1 Panel ....... 4' x 6'... $42
|1/4 Table.....18" x 30" . $11
||1/2 Panel .... 4' x 3'... $21
||1/4 Panel .... 2' x 3'... $11
- Each returning artist may reserve up to one panel or 1/2 table, or a combination of panels
and/or tables up to a maximum of one. Each new artist may reserve up to 1/2 panel or 1/4
table. Requests for additional space will be granted with the advance approval of the Art Show
Director (please send your request via snail- or electronic mail).
- We do have some lockable display cases which may be substituted for table space. If you
would prefer to use a display case, please contact us for more information.
- Floor space for large, free-standing artwork will be charged at a special rate. Please write us
for a rate quote and include all details about the work(s).
- Entering the Show. If you wish to enter the Boskone 38 Art Show and Print Shop, fill out and
return the enclosed form as soon as possible. Advance reservations are required -- do not
count on the possibility of getting space at the door. The reservation deadline is January 15,
2001, but the show may sell out before that. In that case, you may be put on the Wait List in
case of cancellations. Entry forms received without full payment will be returned
immediately. However, if paying in full now causes you difficulty, please send us an explanation
with your entry form, and we may be able to help. Payment of entry fees is by Visa,
MasterCard or a check or money order payable in U.S. funds to Boskone 38.
- You will receive confirmation of space or notification that your request has been wait-listed.
Fees will be refunded in full if we receive cancellations by February 1, 2001; half of fees are
refunded after that time; no-shows at the convention receive no refund.
- Proceeds from sales. We will mail you a check within a month after the convention for all sales
at the Boskone 38 Art Show and Print Shop.
- Copyright information. (1) We inform buyers that purchase of art does NOT include any
reproduction rights. (2) Only the official convention photographers and supervised press will
be allowed to photograph the Art Show. (3) Reproductions, which should generally be entered
in the Print Shop, may be exhibited as single copies of fine art prints and other limited-edition
works in the main Art Show. They MUST be labeled as reproductions. Items which appear for
sale in the Print Shop or Dealers' Room should not also appear in the main Art Show.
- Auction Sales and Awards. (1) All artwork from the main Art Show with five or more bids will
go to auction. (2) All artwork from the main Art Show is eligible for awards for exemplary
artwork by a panel of judges. The Best Artist (Professional and Amateur) ribbons will be
awarded by popular vote.
- Additional Information
- You will receive additional information regarding Art Show and Print Shop hours, hanging
instructions, etc., with your confirmation of entry into the Art Show.
- If you do not hear from us by 22 January 2001, it is possible that your entry information never
reached us or that your confirmation was somehow lost. Please contact us if this is the case.
- Remember: if you plan to attend Boskone 38, you must purchase a convention membership.
We have included space to purchase memberships on the Art Show Entry Form.
- Art Show Schedule (Preliminary)
|Thursday, Feb. 15
||6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
||Set-up of equipment
(Staff and helpers only)
|Friday, Feb. 16
||Noon to 6 p.m.
||8 p.m. to 10 p.m.
||Art Show & Print Shop open
||10:30 p.m. until done
||Art Show Reception
|Saturday, Feb. 17
||10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
||Art Show & Print Shop open
|Sunday, Feb. 18
||10 a.m. to Noon
||Art Show & Print Shop open
||Noon to 1 p.m.
||Close-Out & Sales set-up
||1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
||Pick-up & Pay; Print Shop open
||1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m.
||2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Boskone is a registered service mark of the New England Science Fiction
This page is maintained by email@example.com