NESFA, the New England Science Fiction Association, is a non-profit group (and a 501(c)(3) corporation) interested in supporting all things related to science fiction and fantasy.
Formerly, Amazon’s “Smile” program allowed you to donate a small amount of your Amazon payments, automatically with each purchase, but they discontinued that program as of Februrary 20, 2023. If we find an alternative, we’ll post it here.
Please consider donating directly:
Donations to a 501(c)(3) corporation are tax-deductible.
As you can see from the main page, we do a lot of things at NESFA. Among other things, we:
- run a Science Fiction convention called Boskone every year in February
- manage a small press dedicated to keeping classic SF in print
- maintain a large library of SF and Fantasy books that members can borrow
- administer a building where we keep our library, store supplies for Boskone, and offer space for fannish activities
- hold meetings to help organize the club (we have many committees)
- work on and post to our website and other media
- sponsor social group meetings to:
- play games
- watch videos
- discuss books we’ve read
- talk about running Science Fiction conventions
- plan other club activities such as our annual Picnic.
What would we do with your money?
Your donation would be used to support all activities of the club, from trivial practical needs to major projects. In particular, we have a number of things in mind that a bit of money would enhance. Among other things, we’d like to:
- Make Boskone a friendlier and more interesting place to visit.
We’d enhance many things at Boskone (our annual SF convention) if we could. Though the convention is self-supporting via membership fees, we can’t always predict how many members will sign up. It would make the convention more interesting to have a bit of initial flexibility in events we can offer at the con.
- Employ ASL interpreters and other special needs helpers for Boskone.
Beyond making Boskone a more interesting place for everyone, we would like to support people who need a little extra help so they can enjoy the convention too.
- Replace or renovate our aging clubhouse.
The Clubhouse is the place where many of our activities occur. It is also the location of our library, and the main staging area for Boskone. We also allow other fan groups to use the clubhouse for meetings and staging their own activities.
- Publish a few less-lucrative book projects.
There are all sorts of classic writers whose works have gone out of print. They are worthwhile parts of our history, but they are often not particularly best-selling. We would like to be able to bring them back in print.
- Improve our library.
We attempt to keep all classic, popular, and current SF and Fantasy titles in our large library, but that requires buying books and building shelves to store them. We would like to maintain the quality of the books we have, and add to their numbers. The worlds of Science-Fiction and Fantasy keep on growing.
- Enhance the clubhouse inerior and activities to be welcoming and more interesting.
We’d like to make it feel comfortable, offer interesting things in the environment (such as SF/Fantasy paintings), and support all our activities in better ways.
- Keep maintaining what we have.
Like all other operations, we have expenses ranging from electricity to snow removal, and from shelf building to roof repair. We’d like to keep the place we have in good shape.