The NESFA Clubhouse & Library begins to reopen
NESFA is pleased to announce our gradual reopening. Starting in June 2021, the NESFA Library reopened. Club members are welcome once again to browse the collection and check out books, movies, and other circulating items. Starting in August 2021, Game and Video days will resume. For now, NESFA and Boskone Business Meetings will remain via Zoom.
- People who can be vaccinated must be vaccinated to use the clubhouse. People over the age of two are requested to wear masks while in the clubhouse as a courtesy to at-risk people. People are required to sign-in and sign-out using the register by the front door so we may track the use of the clubhouse.
- Keyholders should send a message to nesfa-active before going to the clubhouse to warn more risk-averse people that others will be present and to make sure there are no more than 12 people in the clubhouse at any one time.
- Keyholders may use the library at any time providing they don’t conflict with other clubhouse work activities. Non-keyholders may come in during open library hours. Open library hours will be posted to the NESFA calendar (at the lower right of this webpage). Up to 12 people at a time will be admitted to use the library depending on other work going on in the clubhouse, so you may wish to call ahead before arriving.
- Game and Video days will be by RSVP only to the person running the event. As with the use of the Library, up to 12 people at a time will be allowed to attend Game and Video days, depending on other necessary work going on in the clubhouse.
- If you have any questions, please call the clubhouse at 617-625-2311, leave a message if necessary, and someone will get back to you. Remember we are an all-volunteer organization and it may take several days for someone to get back to you.
Welcome to the NESFA website!Our website is comprehensive, covering a wide variety of activities, information, and services that NESFA provides to the speculative community and to our members. If you are looking for information that you don’t see listed here, please contact us at info[at]nesfa.org. For questions or problems with the website, contact us at web[at]nesfa.org. You can also send news item suggestions to newsworthy[at]nesfa.org, and for events and activities to calendar[at]nesfa.org.
Folklorn by Angela Mi Young Hur – June Book Discussion
The next NESFA Reading Group discussion will meet via Zoom on Friday, May 6th at 7pm to discuss Folklorn by Angela Mi Young Hur Sign up via Meetup here
The 2021 Gaughan Award
The recipient of the 2021 Gaughan Award is Hilary Clarq.
The Gaughan Award honors the memory of Jack Gaughan, a long-time friend of fandom and one of the finest SF artists of the 20th century. Because Jack felt it was important to encourage and recognize new blood in the field, The New England Science Fiction Association, Inc., presents the Gaughan Award annually to an emerging artist (an artist who has become a professional within the past five years) chosen by a panel of judges.
The winner of the 2022 Gaughan Award will be announced in February during Boskone59, NESFA’s annual convention.
2020 Chesley Award Winners
In particular, Eric Wilkerson (Boskone 57 Official Artist) won for Best Cover: Hardback Book – Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky by Kwame Mbalia (Rick Riordan Presents / October 2019) and John Picacio (Boskone 47 Official Artist) won for Best Interior Illustration – Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo (Flatiron Books/Macmillan / September 2019).
New ebooks by Zenna Henderson
Ingathering: The Complete People Stories of Zenna Henderson, one of our best-selling hardcover books is now available in ebook format. And we now have its eagerly awaited companion book Believing: The Other Stories of Zenna Henderson in both hardcover and ebook format.
Erin Underwood wins the 2020 DUFF
The Down Under Fan Fund announced that Erin Underwood has won the Down Under Fan Fund race and will become the new North American Administrator to the fund. She won an outright majority on the first ballot.
A quote from the news release: With CoNZealand being a virtual Worldcon this year and Covid-19, Erin will not be traveling to New Zealand this year, but hopes to travel to Australasia in the DUFF tradition in 2021, health and world events permitting.
The 2021 Skylark Award
The 2021 Skylark Award was given to Anthony R. Lewis, one of the founders of NESFA, an occasional SF writer, and both a Fan (yes, with a capital “F”) and promoter of Science Fiction for more than half a century.
The 2022 Skylark Award opened for Nominations after our Annual meeting in May, and they will close at 23:59 on Wednesday, October 20, 2021. The 2022 Skylark recipient will be announced at the Boskone 59 awards ceremony on Saturday, February 19, 2022.
2020–2021 Short Story Contest
The NESFA Science Fiction & Fantasy Short Story Contest for 2020-2021 is now closed. We originally planned to stay open until September 30, 2020, but we received far more stories than usual this year and hit our limit of 75 for the contest. The winners will be announced at Boskone 58, February 12–14, 2021, to be held virtually. Past winners are posted here.