The recipient of the 2021 Gaughan Award is Hilary Clarq.
The Gaughan Award honors the memory of Jack Gaughan, a long-time friend of fandom and one of the finest SF artists of the 20th century. Because Jack felt it was important to encourage and recognize new blood in the field, The New England Science Fiction Association, Inc., presents the Gaughan Award annually to an emerging artist (an artist who has become a professional within the past five years) chosen by a panel of judges.
The winner of the 2022 Gaughan Award will be announced in February during Boskone59, NESFA’s annual convention.
In particular, Eric Wilkerson (Boskone 57 Official Artist) won for Best Cover: Hardback Book – Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky by Kwame Mbalia (Rick Riordan Presents / October 2019) and John Picacio (Boskone 47 Official Artist) won for Best Interior Illustration – Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo (Flatiron Books/Macmillan / September 2019).
The Down Under Fan Fund announced that Erin Underwood has won the Down Under Fan Fund race and will become the new North American Administrator to the fund. She won an outright majority on the first ballot.
A quote from the news release: With CoNZealand being a virtual Worldcon this year and Covid-19, Erin will not be traveling to New Zealand this year, but hopes to travel to Australasia in the DUFF tradition in 2021, health and world events permitting.
NESFA is pleased to announce our gradual reopening. Starting in June 2021, the NESFA Library reopened. Club members are welcome once again to browse the collection and check out books, movies, and other circulating items. Starting in August 2021, Game and Video days will resume. For now, NESFA and Boskone Business Meetings will remain via Zoom.
- People who can be vaccinated must be vaccinated to use the clubhouse. Due to the current CDC guidelines and Somerville rules, masks are once again required for everyone over the age of two while in the clubhouse. People are required to sign-in/sign-out using the register by the front door so we may track the use of the clubhouse.
- While food is once again allowed in the clubhouse, eating is only allowed when no one else not from the same household is present. Drinking is only allowed using a straw under a mask if anyone else not from the same household is present. All trash should go in the blue trash can with the lid.
- Keyholders should send a message to nesfa-active before going to the clubhouse to warn more risk-averse people that others will be present and to make sure there are no more than 12 people in the clubhouse at any one time.
- Keyholders may use the library at any time providing they don’t conflict with other clubhouse work activities. Non-keyholders may come in during open library hours. Open library hours will be posted to the NESFA calendar (at the lower right of this webpage). Up to 12 people at a time will be admitted to use the library depending on other work going on in the clubhouse, so you may wish to call ahead before arriving.
- Game and Video days will be by RSVP only to the person running the event. As with use of the Library, up to 12 people at a time will be allowed at Game and Video days depending on other necessary work going on in the clubhouse.
- If you have any questions, please call the clubhouse at 617-625-2311, leave a message if necessary, and someone will get back to you. Remember we are an all volunteer organization and it may take several days for someone to get back to you.
The 2021 Skylark Award is now closed for Nominations. The 2021 Skylark recipient will be announced at the Boskone 58 awards ceremony on Saturday, February 14, 2021.
Nominations closed at the end of 2020. Skylark 2022 nominations will open after the NESFA Annual meeting in May. Regular members may then place their nominations in the Skylark Award mail box in the clubhouse, or email them to email@example.com. Learn more here about the E. E. Smith Memorial Award.
The NESFA Science Fiction & Fantasy Short Story Contest for 2020-2021 is now closed. We originally planned to stay open until September 30, 2020, but we received far more stories than usual this year and hit our limit of 75 for the contest. The winners will be announced at Boskone 58, February 12–14, 2021, to be held virtually. Past winners are posted here.
NESFA congratulates Lois McMaster Bujold for winning the 2017 Best Series Hugo for The Vorkosigan Saga. NESFA Press editions of her first seven books are available.